Sunday, July 09, 2006

Captain's Course (Sea School)

Well, I started my Captain's course on Saturday. It runs for 9 days and is pretty intensive. I had signed up for one in Daytona - but it was cancelled due to not enough students - so I'm driving 50 minutes each way to Titusville. Oddly enough, it's about 1/4 mile (and within sight) of where I spent one of my most terrifying nights on a sailboat in May of 2005 - during an electrical storm. You can see the photo from that trip on the BLOG from that trip:

http://gwsails.blogspot.com/2005/05/monday-night.html

That photo barely shows the top of the tail of a 'display' space shuttle - so I went there on Saturday from the land side and took a photo of the thing from a better angle.



The Captain's class is very involved. Currently we're learning chart work - with a lot of plotting and figuring out how to determine where you are and where you should be. The questions on the tests have you come up with formulas to determine exactly - the current direction and speed so you can determine where to aim to arrive where you want to end up. I've learned a lot so far.

Here's a photo of the Cheasapeke Bay chart that we're doing some work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home